Millennial’s are people who were born between the early 1980’s and the early 2000’s. They are the children of the Baby Boomer generation. It is said that by the year 2020, they will make up almost half of the workforce.
Millennials, or Gen Ys (as they are referred to) are changing the look and functionality of office spaces all across the country.
Gen Ys look at life differently than any generation before them. They tend to be:
- Impatient. They grew up in the age of texting and instant answers.
- Creative. They have a different way of looking at challenges in the office. They believe the sky is the limit.
- Tech-Driven. Not only do they understand new technology, they expect it to be a part of their everyday work life. Technology is not a perk, it is a necessity.
Previous generations had/have jobs. Jobs or careers were destinations. The young men and women in the workforce today do not “go” to work, they “are” the work. Technology makes it possible for work to be completed virtually anywhere there is an internet connection.
How are Gen Y’s changing the face of office space?
- They are opening up the rooms, knocking down the walls, removing the doors. They want a work station near others in the office working on similar projects. They want to be able to easily brainstorm with team members.
- Brain breaks. They need a way to step away from the thought process and give themselves a breather. They do this through fresh air in a garden, video games, meditation, or a game of ping-pong.
- They want to have internet access anywhere and everywhere. They do not have to be seated in a desk chair to be productive.
Up and coming businesses who want to employ Millennials will need to have open space, ergonomic chairs, sit down/stand up desks, and easy access to fellow employees and team members.
Are you considering updating your space to provide the most productive atmosphere for the Millennials you plan to hire? We can help. Contact us today and we will guide you every step of the way.